DOST agrees but insists on using a 21-gun salute to blow the former dictator’s zombified remains to kingdome come.
(Manila) As the dust settles after the three day zombie outbreak in Batac City, Ilocos Norte, over 200 members of the House of Representatives still insist that the former president deserves military honors even after having started the ordeal which resulted in the deaths of over 3,000 people.
“Even back in March when we filed that resolution, everyone already knew Ferdinand Marcos was responsible for the deaths of thousands of Filipinos during his regime. Why should 3,000 more deaths change our minds about giving him military honors?” Surigao Representative Samuel Epifanio II said.
House Resolution No. 1135 filed by Sorsogon Represantive Salvador Escudero III and supported by over 200 congressmen urged “the administration of President Benigno C. Aquino III to allow the burial of the remains of former president Ferdinand Edralin Marcos at the Libingan ng mga Bayani.”
The resolution has been criticized by several groups such as the Catholic Educational Association of the Philippines (CEAP), Akbayan! Youth (A!Y), and numerous war veterans among others. These groups have called into question the historicity of the resolution’s numerous claims regarding the former president’s better qualities.
Three weeks ago Epifanio had hit back at these groups saying:
“History is a matter of opinion. Maybe they don’t think Marcos is a hero and I respect their opinion. They say Marcos killed thousands of Filipinos and I respect their opinion. They say Marcos loaned billions of dollars and plunged us into debt and I respect that opinion too. But they should also respect our opinion because history is really just all about opinions.” the congressman said.
Before the former president was reanimated as a zombie and killed 3,000 more people, Vice President Jejomar Binay had already submitted a recommendation to Malacañang which has been repeatedly called ‘Solomonic.’ Binay’s recommendation was for Marcos to be interred in Ilocos rather than at the Libingan ng mga Bayani but that he be given military honors befitting a president.
In light of the recent incident the Department of Science and Technology has also forwarded its own ‘Solomonic’ recommendation to Malacañang:
“We are of the opinion that the best course of action is to follow Vice President Binay’s suggestion that former President Marcos be given military honors but that the 21-gun salute be used to blow the zombified remains of the former president to kingdom come. We strongly recommend using artillery with live ammunition for this purpose.”
No word yet from Malacañang on its decision regarding Marcos since before the zombie outbreak began last Friday.